Monday, October 6, 2014

C4T #2

C4T#1

My teacher this week was Jabiz Raisdana. In his blog Jabiz talks about reading programs. The first topic he explains is book talk. Book talk is when Jabiz takes a few minutes out of his class time to talk to his students about different books that he recommends. During this talk Jabiz explains to the students the strengths of the book. For example he talks about how the book is well written, and has the potential to be exciting for his students to read. He stays that his students get a lot out of these book talks. They come up to him and thank him for recommending the books. Jabiz then goes to his next topic when he states that he allows fifteen minutes at the beginning of each class time for his students to read their own book. He says that he makes no exemptions to this rule, the kids read no matter what. Some kids enjoy reading from the start. On the other hand, those who don't enjoy it from the start eventually learn to like reading. His next topic is Goodreads.Goodreads is a web site that allows students to log in what times they are reading their books and for how long they are reading. This website is very beneficial for teachers because it allow them to see when their students are reading. Jabiz very much encourages his students to read as much as possible. Reading is great because you always learn new things when you are reading.

Comment #1

In my comment to Mr. Raisdana I first introduced myself. I let him know that I was in EDM310 and that I attended the University of South Alabama. I stated that I thought his blog post was great because I learned many things from it. I learned about book talks. Book talks in my opinion, are absolutely fantastic for students because the teacher can give suggestions for books. This would make the students excited to read the book because they know a little background information about it. Next, I thought Goodreads was great. By using this website I could see how engaged my students were with their books at home. I could see if students were really enjoying their books enough to read while a teacher was not watching. Overall, I thanked Mr. Raisdana for creating his post on reading. It was really great!


books


C4T#2

In Mr. Raisdana's post for this week, he talks about reading more young american literature to better understand your students. Jabiz states that at first he couldn't bare the thought of reading books that his students were reading. He would be straying away from his favorite authors and books. Then he realized that if he read more YA literature that he could even recommend books to his students. He started emailing certain books to students in his class because he figured they would enjoy reading them. This came off as very beneficial to students. He could talk about books with his them that they were actually reading. His students even started recommending books to Jabiz too.


Comment #2

Hi Jabiz,
I found your blog post very interesting when you stated that teachers need to read some of the same books as their students. I think you make a very good point with this. It's a bonus for students to be able to talk about the books they are reading with their teacher. I like when you talked about how you were even emailing students that they should read certain books. That seems like it would be extremely helpful for them. Overall, I think you make a great point in this blog post! Please visit our Class Blog. Also, you can visit my Personal Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment